SIGNIFICANT INJURY INCIDENT INVOLVING LIGHT VEHICLE AND WORKER
This incident DID NOT involve a WorkPac employee however it serves as a reminder of the risks associated with unplanned vehicle movement.
A Pump Operator was temporarily pinned between his own light vehicle and the pump he was operating after his vehicle rolled forward approximately 13m. The Operator self evacuated and was able to raise the emergency from the two-way radio in his own vehicle.
INJURY: Although no serious injuries were identified, the Operator was required to remain in hospital overnight for observation in relation to the potential crush injury.
EQUIPMENT: Toyota Landcruiser and site pump.
HAZARD: In the line of fire
CAUSE: The vehicle was not parked as per procedure and the vehicle handbrake was defective.
Unplanned movement due to vehicle not parked as per site procedure
Handbrake was defective
Vehicle not fundamentally stable
Prestart checks not forwarded for action
- Follow all Site Policies and Procedures
- Ensure vehicles are serviceable prior to use
- Tag out and report all non serviceable Plant and Equipment
- Ensure vehicles are fundamentally stable when parked and prior to exiting the vehicle
- Forward all Plant and Equipment defect notices to Maintenance for action
- Education awareness relating to line of fire
CONTACT: For any further information contact Peter Zigmantas, Regional Risk Manager, Central Queensland, (07) 49694722.