Entry Level Mining Role

How to get an entry level role in mining

28/10/2019BY: Tracey Mesken

​Entry-level mining roles do come by rarely and usually receive 1000’s of applications, so it can be very difficult to secure a role. Find out how to get started with WorkPac and apply for entry-level roles.

Getting Started

Before applying for any positions, register with WorkPac, then complete the following steps:

  1. Fill out your personal details (this includes Name, DOB, contact details and your address)

  2. Provide an up to date resume

  3. Let us know your work preferences so we can best match you with roles – this involves letting us know your current/last role and industry, your preferred industry, and your preferred Business Centre so we can assign you your recruitment coordinator

  4. Fill out the

  5. Lastly, enter in your relevant work history and provide us with at least two referees

  6. Once you’ve registered call your nearest business centre on 1300 967 572 so you can discuss what you’re seeking with one of our recruitment coordinators. You can also find your nearest business centre on

Skills, experience, tickets

If you’re looking for entry-level/trainee mining roles, we do not recommend completing training courses as most clients will want to train you themselves.

To work on a mine site, you will need:

  • Standard 11

  • Be able to pass a drug and alcohol test

  • Drivers Licence: Requirements for this can differ from site to site (manual/automatic/provisional). They must always be valid and current, always check.

  • National Police Clearance (for some sites)

  • Proof of Right to Work: This can be a driver’s licence, birth certificate and/or passport etc.

  • Coal Board Medical (cost is covered by WorkPac, this is for coal mine sites only)

Beneficial Tickets/Licences

There are other tickets and licences that may give you an edge when applying for entry-level roles:

  • Blue/White Construction Card

  • OH&S Tickets for Civil equipment i.e. Bobcat, Excavator, Roller etc.

  • Trades Papers/Licences

  • Skills List/Competencies

  • Working at Heights

  • Confined Spaces

  • Low Voltage/CPR

  • RII Dump Truck Ticket

What you need to bring to an interview

If you do get an interview for an entry-level role, you must have:

  • Completed the online registration process

  • Uploaded your resume with two references

  • Uploaded your Right to Work documents

  • Drivers Licence

  • Standard 11 (if relevant and if you have it)

  • Current Coal Board Medical (if you have it)

  • Black Coal Competency or Site Authority paperwork (if you have it)

Where are the jobs?

 The following WorkPac Business Centres recruit for roles in mining. For info on upcoming mining projects across Australia, head here.

Coal mining:

coal mining recruitment business centres

Iron ore mining:

Other mining:



How long will it take to get a job in the mines?

Entry-level mining roles do come by rarely and usually receive 1000’s of applications, so it can be very difficult to secure a role. Therefore, persistence is the key to getting in, and it’s very important to build and maintain a relationship with your Recruitment Coordinator so that you stand out when roles do become available.

It’s also important to note that FIFO roles are generally only offered to experienced operators. So, those able to live locally to a mine site or close enough to commit to DIDO (drive in drive out) / BIBO (bus in bus out) roles will have more opportunities.

Is there anything else that will give me an advantage?

Those who live in towns near mines and those willing to relocate for mining work will have a greater opportunity of getting into the industry.

We also recommend networking as best you can with those within the industry. Sometimes having a valuable contact on-site can secure you your first mining opportunity.

What is it like to work on a mine site?

This will vary a lot depending on the role and the location. Some roles will require you to live in a regional or mining community near a site. While DIDO roles will require you to live within a reasonable driving distance of the site, often buses are provided from camp to get you to the mine site.

Shift rosters will vary between sites but will generally operate on an “even-time” cycle (i.e. 4 days on/4 days off or 7 days on/7 days off), though some sites do have roster cycles that will require you to be away for extended periods of 2-3 weeks before returning home on a break. Again, this will all depend on the role and the site.

What’s the difference between a green/entry-level operator and a traineeship?

Both are terms used for new to industry roles, in which no prior mining experience is required, and since there isn’t assumed knowledge or experience you will be receiving training and mentorship on site. However, the biggest difference between the two is that a traineeship is a formal training program, running over a set period with a clear end goal of earning a nationally accredited qualification.

Where can I get more information?

If you were seeking more information, we’d recommend checking out the following webpages:

WorkPac Mining Jobs

WorkPac's Guide to Coal Mining for Operators