New Year's career resolutions
Like many of you, we're heading off to a New Year's Eve celebration today, armed with a six-pack, a handful of sparklers and an answer to that frequently asked question of the evening, "what's your New Year's resolution"?
Now is the time to start thinking about what you want 2016 to look like and what you want to achieve.
The most common commitments for the new year are often career related - "I want to move forward in my career, transition into a new industry, upskill in my current role, secure stable employment, find a new, exciting job that challenges me, get the pay rise I know I deserve"!
We've created a list of 10 career resolutions to inspire you on your job journey this year.
Tip: Write down your goal and the steps you need to take to reach that goal. Make it your screen saver on your phone. Seeing the non-negotiable steps you must action to kick your goals on a daily basis is a great way to stay on track in 2016.
10 career resolutions to inspire you:
1. Start developing the skills I need for my next career move.
2. Take the first step towards completing a professional qualification.
3. Join a professional association related to my field in order to expand my knowledge and contacts.
4. Initiate a problem-solving discussion instead of stewing in silence when I am upset.
5. Master new technologies related to my work.
6. Stop griping about how much I hate my job and create a plan for career change.
7. Research resume-preparation techniques and rewrite my resume.
8. Subscribe to the WorkPac blog and use the online resources to help develop my job-search skills.
9. Have a discussion with my boss about my career goals.
10. Start contributing to my retirement plan to help secure my future.